DPD Warning: Protesters Might Be Stockpiling Items
Written by Brian Maass
DENVER (CBS4) ― With the Democratic National Convention looming, the Denver Police Department has issued a grim bulletin to officers asking them “to be on the lookout for stock piles and caches of supplies that could be used by violent protestors at the up coming Democratic National Convention.”
The special one-page bulletin was sent last week to all Denver police officers and other law enforcement agencies across the state. It provides a glimpse into what law enforcement officials fear, anticipate and are watching for.
The DPD bulletin says that “past practices of demonstrators show that they will use outlying abandoned buildings, homes, camping facilities, secluded woods and farm fields to store their supplies.”
The memo — disseminated to uniformed officers and obtained by CBS4 investigator Brian Maass — warns first responders like police, fire and rescue workers to “be alert for medium and large numbers of these items that seem out of place for its location. This could indicate the stock piling of supplies to be used against first responders.”
Here’s what the “first responder alert” warns might be out there:
Cases of Nails
• Case of nails that can be used to make “caltrops,” anti-personnel devices aimed at causing flat tires, “thereby blockading the street.”
• Caltrops, cautions the notice, “can also be used to throw at first responders and interfere with K-9’s and horses.”
Shields, Both Metal and Plastic
• “Violent protestors are using 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch self-tapping screws to secure the handles on these shields.”
• “The screws have been secured to the shields to act as an assault weapon against the officers.”
• “Another tactic used by violent protestors is to sharpen the upper edges of the shields and then use them as a slashing weapon against the officers.”
Protest Sign Handles
• “Heavy wooden handles in 5-foot lengths are perfect for swinging at first responders’
• “Metal posts can also be used to hold improvised ‘tiki’ torches to deliver flammable liquid on first responders.”
The no-nonsense alert also says law enforcement personnel should be on the lookout for large amounts of helmets, chest protectors, gas masks, metal pipes and PVC piping which can be used “as sleeping dragons to block intersections and building entrances.” A sleeping dragon, in protest parlance, is a “lockdown” device that allows protestors to firmly attach themselves to each other so they are difficult to separate and can block traffic and intersections.
Police are also being warned to watch for anyone amassing chemicals which “can be used in balloons to throw/shoot at first responders.”
The police notice requests that if any officer or agency discovers stockpiles of the above mentioned items, they should contact a Denver police detective. It also asks any information be shared with Denver police about “potential violent protestors” who have rented camping spaces, rented farms or land around the time of the DNC.
Filed under: Democrats |