From CNN. I put on Youtube but Youtube is taking its good old time. Can see link below video to CNN Video.
Is a 7 + minute video
To: RELIGION EDITORS
‘60 Minutes‘ shows expanding settlements, evictions, humiliating checkpoints, ‘Apartheid’ roads and wall, families imprisoned in their own homes
WASHINGTON, Jan. 26 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today thanked CBS for last night’s “60 Minutes” program that outlined in detail the injustices suffered by the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israelis.
The 13-minute report by journalist Bob Simon showed the damage to the cause of peace caused by the ever-expanding and illegal Israeli settlements, the evictions of Palestinians from their homes, the humiliation they experience at Israeli checkpoints, the “Apartheid” roads and wall built by Israel, and the bizarre experience of Palestinian families imprisoned in their own homes by Israeli soldiers.
“We thank CBS and the producers of ’60 Minutes’ for having the courage to show the American people the truth about the injustices that are at the core of the Middle East conflict,” said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. “This powerful report shows clearly that the only way to resolve the conflict and bring peace and stability to the region is to address the fundamental issues of justice that have been ignored by the world community for far too long.”
Awad said American Muslims and all those who seek peace with justice in the Middle East should thank CBS because the media are often criticized for not showing the full picture of the suffering of the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israelis.
CAIR, America’s largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 35 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
No word yet on a reach around from Frank
Frank Is ‘Open’ to Increasing U.S. Bailout’s Size (Update1)
Jan. 27 (Bloomberg) — House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank said he would consider expanding the $700 billion financial-rescue fund, and expects the Obama administration will soon address banks’ toxic assets.
“I am open to that if they can demonstrate the need for it,” Frank told reporters in Washington today when asked if he’d approve a request to enlarge the Troubled Asset Relief Program. “I do think they will be addressing fairly soon the question of what you do about the bad assets” on banks’ balance sheets, he said.
Frank’s remarks indicate a growing recognition among lawmakers that President Barack Obama’s economy team will need more than the $350 billion of TARP that has yet to be committed. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said last week he “would not be surprised” at a request for an increase.
Frank said he expects to begin working with Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner “immediately” on rules to stabilize the banking system, including a plan to buy soured mortgages.
Congress this month released the remaining $350 billion of TARP funds to the Obama administration. Frank and other congressional leaders have faulted former President George W. Bush and his Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson for not using the initial $350 billion released in October to stem foreclosures and spur lending.
Frank said he’d consider releasing more funds if the Obama administration showed “that there is a problem, that what they’re doing is helping alleviate the problem and that they’re doing it in a way that is supportable.”
Administration officials and banking regulators are considering ideas including setting up a “bad bank” to remove the toxic assets curbing banks’ ability to make new loans. Geithner, who was sworn in yesterday as Treasury secretary, last week pledged “much more substantial action” on a “very dramatic scale” to repair the financial system.
Just a reminder to Democrats the can of worms they would be opening. From 1998 a poster that Europeans were passing around after the NATO attack on Serbia
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that Republicans and unaffiliated voters have a different view. Just 21% of unaffiliateds say that Bush and his team are guilty of war crimes, a view shared by four percent (4%) of Republicans.
Overall, among all voters, 25% believe war crimes were committed while 54% disagree.
Seventy percent (70%) of the nation’s voters say it would be bad for the United States if the former president and senior administration officials were brought to trial for war crimes. A majority of Democrats (53%) agree with that assessment.
Nineteen percent (19%) of all voters hold the opposite view and believe that bringing Bush Administration officials to trial for war crimes would be good for the nation.
Moscow is demanding that Georgia releases a Russian army junior sergeant, who was captured in the Akhalgori district of South Ossetia and taken to Tbilisi, according to the Russian military.
Georgia, however, insists junior sergeant Aleksandr Glukhov fled his army unit due to unbearable conditions of service and applied to the Georgian President, Mikhail Saakashvili, for asylum.
The Russian soldier’s appeal to Georgia’s president was recorded and after that shown on local TV and posted on the Internet.
Junior sergeant Glukhov proved Georgia’s claims that Russia was preparing for the August war in South Ossetia beforehand. He said he was moved to Tskhinval back in July to dig trenches and create other fortifications. He was transferred to Akhalgori on December 1.
“The conditions there were awful. We had no bath. There was not enough food and it was very bad. A lot of military equipment was stationed there with us – tanks, infantry combat vehicles, ‘Grad’ multiple launch systems, aimed in the direction of the Georgian villages. That’s why I request the President of Georgia keep me in Tbilisi,” Aleksandr Glukhov said.
Tbilisi is going to consider the pledge thoroughly after Glukhov undertakes a course of psychological and medical rehabilitation.
Meanwhile, Russia’s Defence Ministry spokesman, Colonel Aleksandr Drobyshevsky, called Georgia’s claims a provocation. He said: “Glukhov could only make such statements under moral or physical pressure”.
Following Georgia’s attack on South Ossetia in August, relations between Moscow and Tbilisi have been tense. In August, Russia recognised the independence of the Georgian breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.